The GRLI Guardian Group works on behalf of the Council of Partners (full institutional partners are at the heart of the GRLI) alongside the Centre and Board to uphold the vision, mission and operating ethos of the GRLI. In accordance with the GRLI Governance Framework, we are issuing a call for Guardian nominations from individuals associated with full GRLI partner institutions that are willing to help steward the GRLI’s work and direction of travel.
In issuing this call we asked current Guardian Chair, Arnold Smit, to share his thoughts on what he believes lies ahead for the GRLI and the next Guardian group.
What lies ahead for GRLI and Global Responsibility?
Since 2015 we have witnessed a resurgence of narrow interests and populist sentiments across the world. For sustainable development we need instead global solidarity, inter-connectedness and multi-stakeholder collaboration. These are at the core of what globally responsible leadership is about. It will therefore be important for the GRLI to maintain its role as a partnering platform and change agent with an inclusive global mindset.
In doing so the GRLI has three core assets to work with:
1) a strategic alliance with institutions that share the same commitment to global well-being;
2) the capacity and skill to facilitate whole person learning and organisational transformation; and
3) a core group of individuals and institutions who are committed and eager to both learn and collaborate in advancing the global responsibility agenda.
What kind of questions do the guardians need to work with?
I think the next group of guardians may have to ask themselves the following questions:
1) How might we best maintain a focus on the strategic agenda of the GRLI while at the same time taking care that there is a vibrant, resilient and empowered community of partners to advance the GRLI’s mission with?
2) How might we best liberate and scale the transformative capacity of the GRLI’s expertise which is available in its repository of existing products and in the wisdom, knowledge and skills of its partnering ecosystem?
If you are interested in serving as a GRLI Guardian on behalf of the Partner organisation that you are associated with, or would like to nominate someone then please read the Guardian Group Terms of Reference before completing the online application.
The timeline for Guardian appointments is as follows:
- 29 March: Online applications close — online application
- April — Announcement of Guardians elect to Council of Partners
- May — Induction of Guardians elect
- July — Start of the 2 year mandate
If you have any further questions please contact John North at email@example.com.